Replicate the magic of wood-fired pizza with our guide to the best pizza stones for gas grills.
The good news is that you don’t need a single purpose wood-fired oven anymore. Instead, pizza stone inserts allow you to recreate the cooking art on your propane grill.
Here are five of the very best pizza stones for gas grills so you can get dough cooking today!
Pizzacraft 16.5” Round ThermaBond
This 16.5-inch round pizza stone from Pizzacraft is one of the tougher options on our list. Made of the Thermabond material, this pizza stone is resistant to extreme temperatures and is therefore safe for use in gas grills.
Sized at 16.5 inches, the Pizzacraft is one of the larger pizza stones on our list as well. With that, it allows you to bake huge pizzas, as well as provides better versatility when cooking pizzas of different sizes.
Pizzacraft additionally offers a rectangular version of this pizza stone. If you are looking to bake more than one pizza, then the rectangular stone might be a better choice. It boasts the same features as the round pizza stone too, so it’s a good buy for the money!
The Thermabond material is not only heat-resistant but also FDA-safe. However, a small number of people have encountered a chemical odor that goes away after a few heat-up cycles. Most buyers seem not to have any issues with odors though, so you are unlikely to encounter them.
- Withstands extreme temperatures.
- Sized at a large 16.5 inches.
- FDA-safe material.
- Very few people encountered odor in this pizza stone. It should go away after a couple of uses though.
- Make and bake your favorite pizza in your oven or on your grill
- Made of 100% all-natural FDA-safe Thermabond material, thermal shock resistant
- Homemade breads, pastries, even frozen pizzas cook evenly on the stone surface
This round pizza stone from CastElegance is a little pricier than the Pizzacraft stone, but it might be able to deliver better pizza-making results.
This pizza stone is made with Thermarite, which is engineered tuff cordierite. This is a food-safe material that appears to absorb moisture from the pizza better than other pizza stones, allowing for that delicious crispy crust.
Thermarite is also designed not to emit odors, and most people indeed have encountered no stink. Some buyers haven’t been as lucky though and had to use the stone a few times for the odor to disappear.
The CastElegance pizza stone is available in two sizes – 14 and 16 inches. If you aren’t going to make huge pizzas, then the 14-inch stone should be fine. It’s cheaper than the 16-inch stone too, so it’s probably going to be a better buy for most people.
Notably, each stone comes with use & care instructions, a free recipe e-book (a nice bonus for beginners), and a 4 x 5 scraper. So for its price, the CastElegance pizza stone offers pretty good value!
- Available in 2 sizes.
- Includes a free recipe e-book and a scraper.
- Strong and durable Thermarite material.
- FDA food-safe.
- May require a few uses for the odor to go away.
- Rather pricey.
- Make the Best Crispy Crust Pizza at Home. Thermarite absorbs moisture & has superior heat...
- Thermarite is engineered to last with better durability, strength and superior thermal shock...
- Use on Ovens and Grills, Thermarite shields pizza from intense heat of the grill for a perfect...
JulyPanny 15” Pizza Stone
This 15-inch pizza stone from JulyPanny is rather attractively priced for its size. It’s not too cheap upfront, but given its 15-inch size, it’s a very good buy for the money!
At the heart of the JulyPanny pizza stone is cordierite. Cordierite isn’t the very best on the market in terms of crisp (if you want crisp, go for clay), but it’s tough enough to withstand the temps of gas grills. This pizza stone is molded under 400 tons of pressure and heated at 2100 degrees Fahrenheit for hours, so it should be pretty tough.
JulyPanny also advertises that the cordierite allows this pizza stone to heat evenly, so after baking, you should get a perfectly consistent, crunchy pizza.
Generally, cordierite doesn’t stink, but this hasn’t been the case for some buyers with this pizza stone. Once again, this pizza stone is very highly rated, and most people have had zero issues with it, but a few buyers have had to deal with unpleasant odor.
- Not too expensive for its size.
- 15-inch size – great for large pizzas!
- Extremely resistant to heat.
- Some buyers have encountered odors upon first use.
- ✔ HIGH QUALITY - Our pizza stones are made of all-natural formulated cordierite, molding...
- ✔ DISTRIBUTES HEAT EVENLY - It is different with metal pans which often occurs sogginess, the...
- ✔ PERFECT SIZE FOR YOU - Measures 15" by 0.43". The pizza stone can be used to cook more than...
Hans Grill 15 x 12” Rectangular Pizza Stone
This pizza stone is an amazing buy if you want a crunchy pizza. Although all picks on our top make crispy pizzas, this pizza stone appears to perform better. At least, we’ve seen fewer people complain about the lack of crisp with this particular pizza stone.
Seemingly made from ceramic, the Hans Grill pizza stone also does a good job of resisting temperatures and can be safely used with a gas grill.
Thanks to its rectangular shape, this pizza stone is awesome for baking two smaller pizzas. You can also bake one large pizza on it, but not as large as with our previous picks. Given the size of this thing (15 x 12 inches), 12-inch pizzas are the most you’ll be able to bake on it.
As a nice bonus, Hans Grill includes a wooden pizza peel board with this pizza stone. The peel board is pretty convenient, but you can definitely find better boards out there.
In terms of odor, you are extremely unlikely to encounter any in this pizza stone. Some people have complained about it, but not nearly as many as with our previous picks.
- Great for baking more than one pizza.
- Includes a pizza stone and a pizza peel board.
- Achieves a wonderful crust.
Lirradight 10.5” Pizza Stone
If you are looking to bake small pizza, then consider this 10.5-inch pizza stone from Lirradight. It’s rather inexpensive yet tough enough for most pizza-baking needs.
In terms of build and quality, the Lirradight pizza stone is very similar to the JulyPanny stone reviewed earlier. Both are made from cordierite that was molded under pressure and heated under 2100 degrees Fahrenheit. As a result, you are getting a pizza stone that is extremely heat-resistant and distributes heat evenly.
What caught our eye in this pizza stone is that no one has complained about any odors as of this review’s writing. Now, this pizza stone was less popular than others (it had only about 40 user ratings on Amazon vs hundreds in the previous pizza stones), but it’s still a good sign that no one has complained so far.
- Rather inexpensive.
- Great for small pizzas.
- Extremely heat-resistant.
Last update on 2021-01-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API