This low carb keto BBQ sauce recipe is sugar-free but rich in flavor. Good for layering on your meat, or using as a dipping sauce, this DIY BBQ sauce is sure to be a hit.
A while ago I put together a list of some of the best keto-friendly BBQ sauces that you can buy online.
It’s great that these options exist for BBQ lovers, and that people either on a keto-friendly diet, or who are just looking to reduce their sugar intake, can have BBQ sauces that are on the right side of healthy.
But if you’re anything like me then you might like to make your own, which is why I have this excellent keto BBQ sauce recipe to share with you all today.
Not only is this stuff delicious and low in sugar, it’s really quick and easy to put together. And I mean seriously quick. Like, 15 minutes quick.
Everyone’s taste for BBQ sauce varies greatly, with spice being one of the most obvious variables. Not only that, but added flavors like citrus and honey can be adapted in line with your preference.
For the purposes of this recipe today I’ve adapted a recipe from Paola over at Gnom Gnom. Be sure to check her out.
I’ve used pretty much the same ingredients as her. I’ve just upped the quantities for the chipotle and cayenne powder a little bit because I like it spicy, so if you’re a bit more cautious with your sauce then do decrease that slightly.
I’ve listed stevia as the sweetner in this, but in truth you can add whatever sweetener you prefer. In fact, you could even skip adding sweetener altogether. I’ve included it to try and replicate some of the sweetness you get from sauces, but in truth the sauce is just as good without.
The cooking process is really simple. It’s essentially a case of mixing all the ingredients into a saucepan on a simmer, before making the glaze. This is also really simple as it’s just mixing arrowroot into a little bit of water, before applying it to the other ingredients.
You then let the whole thing thicken in the pan, before storing in an airtight refrigerator.
A couple of things to be aware of:
I know that both stevia and arrowroot can be a little tough to get hold of sometimes, so here are a couple of Amazon links (disclaimer: I do earn a small commission from these, but at no extra cost to you):
This sauce is also only really good for up to five days in the fridge. Although if you enjoy this sauce, I doubt it will last that long anyway!
Low Carb Keto BBQ Sauce
- 80 ml white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 ½ tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 tsp black pepper
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp stevia
- ½ tsp kosher/table salt
- 1 tsp arrowroot
- 120 ml hot water optional
- Start by warming up a saucepan over a medium-low heat.
- Add the paprika, oregano, vinegar, olive oil, garlic, black pepper, cumin, cayenne, chipotle, salt and water.
- Add the stevia to taste and simmer for 10 minutes.
- To make the glaze, mix the arrowroot in to two tablespoons of water.
- Mix the glaze into the main body of the sauce. Let it continue at a simmer, stirring frequently to help prevent it from forming lumps.
- Once you have reached your desired BBQ sauce consistency, remove from heat and pour into a container. Allow to cool before putting on lid and storing. Add more water if you would like it thinner, or more arrowroot if you want it thicker, but do keep it mind that it will thicken slightly while cooling anyway.
- Apply lid on airtight container and store in refrigerator. Can store for up to five days.