If you want an eating challenge for this year, then look no further than this BBQ chili burger recipe.
There’s no getting around it: This burger is a beast.
Built upon a traditional cheese burger, this monster packs in homemade chili and oven cooked onion rings to create a tower of meat.
A few quick tips:
I’ve used hickory as my hardwood for this recipe. Hickory’s a deep and strong flavored wood, but it matches perfectly with a lot of different cuts of beef, which makes it perfect for this chili. If you would prefer a different wood then oak and mesquite are quite similar in flavor and strength.
Everyone has their own go-to homemade chili recipe, so don’t worry if yours deviates from the one I’ve laid out here. Just so long as it contains beef, and isn’t overpowered with spice.
BBQ Grilled Chili Burger
- Hickory Hardwood
- BBQ Grill
For the beef chili
- 2.5 lbs ground beef
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 jalapeño pepper minced
- 1 large green onion diced
- 1 can chipotles minced
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups chicken broth/stock
- ⅛ cup flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 lime juiced
For the burgers:
- 2 lbs ground beef
- beef rub to taste
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- onion rings
For the chili:
- In a large pan, cook the ground beef on a medium heat until browned.
- Add all other chili ingredients except lime juice. Allow to simmer for 1-2 hours, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Stir lime into chili and set aside until ready to assemble chili burgers.
For the onion rings:
- Follow onion ring instructions. Usually 15-20 minutes at about 390°F/200°C.
For the burgers:
- Start up BBQ grill and heat to medium-high heat, about 350°F/180°C. Preheat for 10-15 minutes, or until grill has reached target temperature.
- For beef into 4 evenly sized patties. Apply beef rub to burgers generously on both sides.
- Transfer patties to grill and cook for 4-6 minutes on each side. With one minutes remaining, place a cheese slice on each burger and cook for a further minute.
- Remove burgers from grill and leave to rest for 2-3 minutes. Place burgers in buns, pour 2 cups of chili on each burger, add a handful of onion rings, and place bun lid on top.