This grilled Italian sausage sandwich recipe is the ultimate crowd-pleaser. Stuffed into a French baguette and flooded with vibrant toppings, this is the perfect BBQ lunch or tailgate food. Get the recipe here.
There aren’t many things better for a tailgate than putting a good beer on ice and then reaching for something hot off the grill.
So whether you’re going tailgating or if you’re hosting your very own Super Bowl party, here’s an easy go-to recipe that should satisfy just about any meat eater.
This mouth-watering grilled sausage sandwich is guaranteed to quickly become a crowd favorite.
It’s packed with juicy grilled pork sausage, featuring our favorite grill marks, and topped with beautifully sautéed onion, peppers, and a sliver of mustard.
All housed in a toasted baguette. These are dangerously addictive and will go down a storm on game day as part of your tailgate.
Let the obsession begin.
What’s great is that these sandwiches are made with just a few core ingredients:
- Italian sausage
- Red pepper
- Red onion
- Fresh baguette
You simply sauté the onion and pepper for about ten minutes, before grilling the star of the show: The Italian sausage.
Different people have their own choice of sausage for this kind of recipe, but I just find that Italian just strikes the right balance between traditional meat flavors, as well as herbs and added seasoning.
How to Grill Sausage
One of the best things about sausages is how easy they are to cook. Just like other BBQ classics like burger patties and chicken breasts, they only need a few minutes on either side.
Heat up your grill to about 450-500°F (230-260°C). Once your grill has reached temperature, place your sausages on the grill close to the heat. Cook for about 5-6 minutes, until that side has started to turn brown. Turn the sausages over and cook for another 5-6 minutes. Continue to grill until cooked through (this might require a further 2-3 minutes). Aim for an internal temperature of 160°F.
Remove meat from grill and serve immediately!
Want to hot smoke your Italian sausage? Check out our guide on how to smoke sausage
Italian Sausage Topping Ideas
The best toppings for sausage sandwiches are sautéed onions, grilled peppers, scallions, and mozzarella cheese. Herbs and garnish like parsley, basil, and oregano are good. Condiments like mayonnaise, garlic butter, balsamic glaze are also good toppings.
Time & Temperature
Grill over high heat, about 450°F-500°F on your gas grill. It takes about 6 minutes per side, taking 12 minutes in total to grill sausages until they are cooked through.
Grilled Italian Sausage Sandwich
- 4 Italian sausages
- 1 large artisan baguette or any baguette of your choice
- olive oil
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 4 oz button mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- Fire up your grill to high, about 400-450°F (205-230°C)
- Warm up olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onion, and sauté until soft. Add red pepper and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Once your grill has hit 400°F, arrange sausages on grill grates over direct heat. Cook until done, turning every 2 minutes.
- Slice baguette into 4 mini baguettes, and slice each down the middle lengthwise. Place open-side on grill over indirect heat, toast for 1-2 minutes.
- Arrange 1 sandwich per baguette, and layer with toppings: Onion, peppers, and yellow mustard.
- Add any other additional toppings and serve