Mouthwatering chorizo and egg breakfast burritos rustled up on your griddle or flat-top grill. This protein-packed spin on the breakfast classic is loaded with spicy sausage, scrambled eggs and melted cheddar cheese to give you the best start to the day.
Start your day right with these hearty breakfast burritos. This easy breakfast dish is the perfect blend of breakfast eggs and chorizo, sealed in a toasted flour tortilla with melted cheese. It’s filling, flavorful, and perfect to take on-the-go.
There’s nothing too fancy here. Our recipe combines scrambled eggs, some griddled vegetables, and chorizo vegetables to ensure minimum effort but maximum results. This is one of favorite griddle breakfast recipes, and it’s easy to see why.
From ingredient preparation to the perfect griddle temperature, discover how to make breakfast burritos on your griddle today.
What is a Breakfast Burrito?
Breakfast burritos are a simple spin on the classic burrito recipe, featuring breakfast staples such as scrambled eggs, cheese, and sausage, all wrapped up in a soft flour tortilla and toasted for a touch of crispiness. Just like with traditional burritos, the ingredients can change, sometimes featuring bacon or potatoes, but the main concept remains the same: A filling protein-packed breakfast that can be taken on the go.
This breakfast classic has its roots in New Mexico, with the Santa Fe diner Tia Sophia’s laying claim to the first use of the name ‘breakfast burrito’ on its menu back in the mid-1970s. Since then, the dish has spilled over into the American Southwest, as well as Tex-Mex cuisine, giving way to a wide variety of interpretations of the original recipe.
How to Make Breakfast Burritos on the Blackstone
These morning beauties are easy to put together and can be made in just 20 minutes. This is how to make the best breakfast burritos on your Blackstone griddle or flat-top grill:
- Preheat: Start by warming up canola oil over medium heat on your griddle
- Sauté: Add the red onion and bell peppers, cooking until they start to caramelize and turn soft
- Scramble: Pour whisked eggs onto the griddle to create a scramble
- Combine: Add chorizo pieces and stir in with the scrambled eggs, red onions and bell peppers
- Warm: Arrange the tortillas on the griddle surface, heating for just a couple of minutes on each side
- Fill: Serve the chorizo and scrambled egg mix to the tortillas and top with cheese
- Fold: Tightly fold up the tortillas to form the breakfast burritos and put them back on the griddle to toast and seal
- Enjoy: Serve right away while they’re warm and crisp
- Use Canola Oil: While most types of cooking oil are fine to use on your griddle, the best oils to use for griddle cooking need a high smoke point and a neutral taste. Canola oil has both of these qualities. You can also use avocado oil.
- Don’t Overcook the Eggs: Scrambled eggs will continue to cook a bit even after you remove them from the heat, so remove them from the griddle just as they’re approaching done.
- Cheese Selection: We’ve gone with simple shredded cheddar for this recipe, but if you want a little more kick, try Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack.