This grilled shrimp recipe is the perfect appetizer to kick start your barbecue.
I originally saw this recipe with a good deal of Thai chili in it. I love spicy food, but that was even a bit too much for my tastes. So I’ve tweaked this recipe and swapped in regular red chili.
Adjust for your personal tastes though, and even consider removing the chili altogether if you’re not a spice fan.
BBQ Grilled Shrimp Skewers
- Wood/Metal Skewers
- 2 lbs shrimp peeled and deveined
- 4 oz red chilies
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
For the rub:
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tbsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- Combine all rub ingredients thoroughly in a small bowl. Once combined, set to one side.
- Place all other ingredients except the shrimp in a blender or food processor. Pulse several times until you achieve a textured paste.
- Put the shrimp in a large bowl and add the chili-garlic paste. Cover with film and transfer to refrigerator. Allow to marinate for at least an hour prior to grilling.
- Heat up grill to 450°F/230°C.
- While grill heats up, remove shrimp from refrigerator and assemble onto skewers.
- Apply generous amount of paprika rub across all surfaces of the shrimp skewers. Transfer to grill and cook shrimp for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until shrimp is firm to touch and pink in color.